Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cowboy Caviar Recipe (without bottled dressing)


My sister-in-law first introduced me to Cowboy Caviar a few years ago. It's a dip served with tortilla chips which is a hit with our extended family and we have it a lot on camping trips and at parties. Her recipe is super yummy and uses black-eyed peas, hominy, and bottled Italian dressing.

This recipe has morphed from the recipe she gave me after trying different combinations of ingredients over the years. I started using a homemade oil and vinegar dressing with fresh lime juice vs. using the store bought Italian dressing in the original recipe to make it both cheaper and a little healthier. The first time I made it I tried to use extra virgin olive oil but the flavor was too noticeable so now I use canola.


My 2-year-old daughter eats this like it's going out of style and my son in junior high likes to take this to school for lunch. But I'm not gonna lie...my 5-year-old won't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Because it has a lot of "stuff" in it.

Since it's loaded with beans and veggies, it also makes a quick and healthy no-cook meal. In fact, we had what's pictured above for lunch. Well, some of us had it for lunch. :)

Cowboy Caviar Recipe

1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 11 oz. white shoepeg corn, drained
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped fine
1/4 cup red onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup sweet peppers, chopped fine (I use mini peppers in red, orange, and yellow)
1 small jalapeno, seeded (leave some or all of the seeds if you want it hot) and minced
1/2 avocado, diced (add right before serving if you are not serving immediately)

Dressing

2 tablespoons canola oil (or another light, flavorless oil)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add beans and veggies to a big bowl. Drizzle dressing ingredients over the top and toss gently to mix. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.

This is easily adaptable if you want to make substitutions, add more or less of something, or leave something out altogether.

No comments: