Monday, July 8, 2013

Upcycled Crate Table


Hi guys. Hope everyone had a fun and safe 4th of July!

Here's a side table I upcycled from a vintage Pepsi crate that I've had for a long time. I love the look of hairpin legs on tables. My husband said he could make them for me but I didn't want to add another thing to the honey do list, so I decided to improvise with some shelf brackets I found at Home Depot.


I found these grey shelf brackets in the lumber section at Home Depot. They are 10" x 12" (which fit my crate perfectly even though I hadn't measured) and they are pretty sturdy. The other nice part is they were about $1.70 a piece.


Both sides of the brackets have holes. Here's M (age 4), my trusty sidekick, marking where we need to drill pilot holes. He's always ready to help on any kind of building project.


We drilled the pilot holes so the wood wouldn't split when we attached the brackets with screws.


And then used short screws to secure the brackets to the bottom of the crate. Look at those dirty hands and fingernails.


The brackets just barely met in the middle with no overlap. The brackets are pretty sturdy but I wouldn't use the table for anything super big or heavy. I'm just using mine for magazines/books right now.


No comments: